Ten Ton Hammer had a post cheering Caldari in Eve. Allow me to rebut.
10. Shields Rule
- Yeah they're great... until you realize you have no mid slots left for tackle... until you realize your signature is the size of a small moon and thus easy to target and hit.
9. Missiles Rock
- Try fighting at any reasonable distance and waiting impatiently for your missiles to get to the target. Watch in horror as a speed tanking inty laughs as he closes in on you. Gasp in horror as you realize your cross training options are limited to a small smattering of Amarr and Minmatar and to be a real veteran you have to train gunnery skills from the start anyways.
8. Electronic Warfare Specialists
- Yeah ECM is cool compared to the others... except for that pesky habit of being targeted first all the time. And the ships having piss poor tanks as a result of slamming as much ECM as possible. Gimped for success!
7. Available Equipment
- What are you, poor? Everyone gets stuff in a hub or accepts the markups in the outlying regions. I've never said, "Damn, that Gallente ship is tooooo expensive here in 0.0!"
6. Caldari Are Popular
- Yes, space filled to the brim is great! Except for the lag, competition, ninja mission salvagers, can flippers, scam artists, and drained resources.
5. Well designed ships
- There are plenty, PLENTY, of shit designed Caldari ships. This point is just perception bias. Raptor, Hawk, Vulture, Eagle, Cerberus, Widow, Kitsune, Nighthawk, Ferox, Cormorant, Moa.... to name a few. I'm not saying these ships are broken, but they are far from Well Designed. The other races are at least as well designed.
6. A Good Path Of Progression For Hybrid Turret Users
-That's their numbering, not mine. Copy paste for the win folks. Yes, there is A path of progression, but with the Raptor, Vulture, Ferox, Moa all being less than ideal AND the lack of new hybrid platforms from CCP I can only say expect to be in a dead end in Caldari Hybrids pretty fast and training Gallente instead. That reminds me, Merlin poorly designed as well. Look at more than just ship bonuses, dude; try slot layout.
5. A Good Path Of Progression For Missile Users
- Ok, I'll give one to you. If you are a missile fanatic, Caldari is the race for you. Of course, you'll be marginalized in null sec fleet combat but whatever works for you.
4. Best Overall Fleet Ship - Drake
- The Drake may be the FOTM right now, but your list is going to look really stupid if (when) CCP changes things and the Drake falls out of favour. Not to mention tactics are being developed right now that might make the Drake fleets a weapon in the alliance arsenal and not the only choice. After all, the people that said train Minmatar for the Vagabond, Gallente for the nos-Domi, and Amarr for the pulse Zealot don't look so smart right now, eh?
3. Bustling Faction Warfare
- If Caldari are busy, then Gallente is busy too. And I'm pretty sure Minmatar and Amarr conflict is as busy. This seems... subjective at best.
2. The Most Well-Rounded Stealth Bomber
- Hmmm... his arguments sound valid I guess, but the advantage the Manitcore has over the others is so slight on the scale of ship effectiveness per role, that I'd be embarassed to include it in a list like this. He's reaching, and he doesn't have to with a list of 11 items due to "can't count" syndrome.
1. Caldari Are Damn Cool
Subjective again, as none of the empires has a particularly unique theme in sci fi tropes.
* * * * *
Don't get me wrong: I'm originally specced Caldari Hybrids and I think overall the faction they are OK, but there are times I wish I had started out with Gallente or Minmatar.