This month topic comes to us from @ZoneGhost who a few month ago asked "Is Low Sec the forgotten part of EVE Online?" Is it? I'd like us to explore this even further. Is Low Sec being treated differently by CCP Games than Null Sec (Zero-Zero) or Empire space is? Can one successfully make a living in these unsecured systems where neither Alliance nor Concord roam to enforce their laws? What's needed? Or is everything fine as it is?
The biggest problem with low sec is that people who wish to not be pirates (aka anti-pirates) cannot enforce security without incurring the wrath of security status loss (requiring a lot of work to regain through boring ratting/missions) and coming under fire from the sentry guns if you engage hostiles whose sec status has not dropped below -5.
That being said, I don't think low sec is all that bad as people often claim. Its OK in my opinion to have a part of space not populated to the brim with pilots. Some wilderness to get lost in and sneak around in is fine, the danger of pirates around every gate a nice tension compared to the relative peacefulness of high sec and security channels of null sec.
Perhaps some increase in rewards in low sec is warranted, and perhaps some aspects of the criminal element like smuggling, black markets, bribery, bounty hunting could be addressed. I have some rough ideas but I know a lot of people like Mynxee of Life In Low Sec have been making tremendous efforts to address Low Sec and make it more vibrant so I'll defer to their expertise on the issue.
I will say that I would like to see some ability to claim systems in low sec for corporations/alliances much like space in 0.0 is claimed. I don't know what that would entail but I think it would be really cool to have little empires in corners of low sec that have some security and some advantages over just living in a station in unclaimed low sec.
- CrazyKinux's Musing: The Lure of the Wild
- Banter 15: Arr, Yer be talkin’ bout me lowsec | TheElitist
- Banter 21: Low-sec- Chocolate Heaven
- Subs' suds: Forever a noob in Eve: Low-Sec - the forgotten part of EVE Online
- Blog Banter XXI - Lo-sec = Low Priority? | I am Keith Neilson
- In the Ghetto | A Mule in EvE
- where the frack is my ship?: Blog Banter 21: What's good for the goose...
- Blog Banter #21: Change? | Sarnel Binora's Blog
- Low Sec = Wild West ~ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- a merry life and a short one: Low Sec: I Wanna Talk to You
- Low Sec = No Sec | Diary of a Garbageman
- EVEOGANDA: Blog Banter 21: Friggin' Low Sec
- Drifting through the Stars: Blog Banter #21: Low-Sec - The Forgotten part of EVE Online
- Captain Serenity: Eve blog banter #21 - Low Sec, The Forgotten Part of Eve
- Low Sec: the Best part of EVE Online | Nitpickin's
- Aeroxe's Assault - “Is Low Sec the forgotten part of EVE Online?”
- Eve Blog Banter 21 | A Scientist's Life in Eve
- Latro's Bunker: Eve Blog Banter 21 - Low-sec
- A "CareBears" Journey » Blog Archive » EVE Blog Banter #21: The Low Sec Conundrum
- EVE Blog Banter 21: Low Security Space « The Nomadic Gamer
- EvE Blog Banter #21: Where Now?!? – EvE Blasphemy
- Low-security space is for people who care « EVE's parity bit