This month's banter comes to us from CrazyKinux himself, who asks the following: First there was the MMO on the PC, and now with the recent announcement of DUST 514, EVE will soon be moving onto consoles. But what about mobile? Allow your imagination to run wild for a second and describe how you would see EVE being ported to mobile devices, whether the iPhone/iPod touch, Blackberrys or Android-based devices. Dream the impossible for us!
* * * * *
My wife has an I-Pod touch and it makes me jealous. It connects to our home wireless router and she can check email, download stuff, read blogs... I tried to convince her she wanted Capsuleer but she said "Back OFF! Get your own sandwich!"
With COSMOS plans in motion from CCP, one can start to imagine the lines blurring between in-game and out-of-game activities. And once you start moving things out of game, its a small jump to the mobile devices to today and tomorrow since the line between desktop PC and a handheld has been shrinking every day.
These are the things I would like to see out of game:
- Everything in Eve Commander. That means absolute inventory browsing (in remote cans and fittings on ships), current market orders, research projects, and skill training info.
- The ability to view the market and change my buy and sell orders.
- The ability to change my skills and skill queue.
- Access, create, and reply to Evemails.
- Access to channels for chatting.
- Access to my stored ship fittings.
- Ability to browse and bid on contracts.
Essentially I want everything I don't need to be sitting in a ship to do available to me out of game and accessible by mobile clients. I know that's ambitious but it would add so much to the experience.