Kirith is pretty much Bill, and vice versa. The years spent running a busy Warhammer 40K community forum and gaming club helped shape me into a relatively even keeled internet person and that carries on in Eve and on the blog here (most of the time... I can revert to Grumpy Mean Old Man Bill at times, just ask Rixx Javix).
I think, for the most part, that this is true for almost everyone: who you are in real life is reflected in who you are in game. The difference is that the rules in which your personality can freely express itself is different in the two arenas. In real life I can't go around and slash people's tires and smash their windows for fun because I know that is an actual cost to them (which might lead one into discussions of actual worth of internet spaceships but I decided to fall down on the side of "just pixels" a long time ago).
But I do participate in board games with the intent of destroying my enemies even if that makes that game un-fun for them, just as in Eve I PvP and will gank a hostile hauler without a second thought. Does that make me a bad person? Of course not.
At the same time, I've done good things to help others such as given away ships and ISK, especially to those struggling. It is who I am.
Some people use the anonymity of the internet to let loose their dark side and I can see the temptation of that, but that opportunity is lost to me. Oh well. I'll survive.
Do I think good leaders in real life make good leaders in New Eden? And vice versa? Definitely. Ultimately, who you really are shines through in both venues. You may say you are only roleplaying a jerk, but deep down we both know that you really are a jerk, jerk.
List of participants:
- EVE Blog Banter #24: Be, all that you can be, and so much more!
- BB24:RL + EVE = | A Mule In EvE
- Freebooted: BB 24: You Talking to Me?
- where the frack is my ship?: Blog Banter 24: Behind the keyboard
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #24: I Am Prano. « Prano's Journey
- mikeazariah » Blog Archive » BB24 Who are you, who hoo woo hoo
- Drifting: The 24th EVE Blog Banter (January 2011 Edition) - Topic: EVE and Real Life
- Victoria Aut Mors » Blog Archive » Eve Blog Banter #24 – Where Eve Meets Real Life
- Who is more real?? « The Durzo Chronicles
- Captain Serenity: blog banter #24 - Personalities
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: EVE and Real Life (EVE Blog Banter #24)
- The 24th EVE Blog Banter - EVE and Real Life - The Phoenix Diaries
- » EvE Blog Banter #24: EVE and Real Life EvE Blasphemy
- Blog Banter 24: In Real Life « Yarrbear Tales
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Alt « the hydrostatic capsule
- Blog Banter #24 – Me « Roc's Ramblings
- More to come....