So I'm going through the Level 1 Epic mission arc with brand new character Korneilia and I have to say I'm impressed and disappointed, more the former than the latter.
- I like how the missions are challenging for my couple day old character without being impossible (like having Worlds Collide thrown at you upon just getting your first Frigate... I'm not bitter...)
- I really like how the missions form a narrative and lead you to be part of an unfolding story.
- I like how you get sent a few jumps to another agent to work for them in a different part of space, and how sub-plot points get developped in the overall story arc.
- I like how missions were varied into kill stuff, retrieve stuff with killing, retrieve stuff without killing, and dropping something off(!).
- I like the background blurbs in the mission descriptions explaining concepts like the origins of Serpentis Corporation or the tension between Gallente and Caldari
- I like the rate of rewards for a new character; having bought a Rifter, modules, several skill books, I still have over a million in the bank. When I started, a million was a far off dream for weeks.
- The missions are still lacking a lot of variation in terms of mechanics. I've seen some improvements, but nothing that screams EPIC to me. I want missions to be adventures!
That being said, I'm not done yet. I'm not sure where I am in the overall arc, but it feels approaching mid-way.
Last night I had my toughest mission yet. I'd skilled up for armour plates and an afterburner so I was feeling like hot shit when the mission called for me to go kill some Serpentis priates. I warped into 3 little frigs and shot them up real good. Then a second spawn of five frigs showed up.
Wait.... is that... a Destroyer? Two Destroyers?! Crap!
The Destroyers went to town on my little Civilian Shield Boosting ship and I had to do the ol'warp out to repair and come back trick a few times, each time staying long enough to kill one more rat. Once the Destroyers were down, the next wave spawned with a bigger red cross... a cruiser!
Fortunately, the cruiser lacked the tracking to adequately get me and I swept away the enemy with authority.
Overall, enjoying this enough to know that the Level 4 mission arc is going to get a try in the coming weeks.