In my post on Tuesday called Low Sec Evolution I noted:
More recently we have seen a couple more low sec only features announced. Tags for Sec feature where special rats spawn in low sec belts and drop tags that can be turned in for rapid sec status, and coming this summer there will be special Mordu's Legions rats which will randomly appear in belts and drop BPCs to the new ships. A low sec only lottery if you will.Then today there is a new dev blog titled Sweeping Death and Chaos: New Exploration Sites in Kronos and it introduces this:
When they've received sufficient data, they are going to launch an all-out assault on a site we're calling the Besieged Covert Research Facility. As we also noted, Mordu's Legion are really not going to want you there; your business with them will be done, and they will react in extremely hostile fashion to anyone who persists in interfering with their operations.
Further on, in the comments CCP RedDawn adds:
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:So there will be a new type of ghost site in low sec that drop sweet loot, and only in low sec.
Just to get things straight:
1) The BPCs for the new pirate ships (Garmur etc) drop from Mordus rats in low security belts. (On test server I've yet to see one FWIW.)
2) Contested Guristas Covert Research Facility sites will (only?) drop data that can either be sold on the market or traded at the Mordus station. But otherwise these sites drop no loot? And these sites too will spawn in low sec?
3) Once enough data has been delivered to the Mordus station, Besieged Covert Research Facility sites will start to appear anywhere in low sec and they will drop the new ship skin BPCs, "low-grade" implants, and warp speed modules?
Is all of that correct or am I missing something?
I also have a question about the "Besieged Covert Research Facility" sites. Once they have been "unlocked," are they permanently unlocked such that they spawn all over low sec from there on out? Or is it more of a system where 1 is unlocked as a spawn for every X amount of data delivered to Mordus? (FWIW they are everywhere in low sec on the test server.)
1) Yes that's right.
2) Yes these Contested sites only drop the data you need to unlock the Besieged sites and they will be present in low sec.
3) Yes. The Besieged sites will be over all of low sec and drop what's mentioned in the dev blog.
Exploration in low sec has always been lucrative for the intrepid explorer but now we have the case where even belt ratting can reap unexpected and significant rewards. Belt ratting used to be the only way besides missioning for making money from PvE content but anomalies and exploration killed that off all over null sec. However, will it rise as a common method in low sec once again?
Moreover, from these data points we can extrapolate CCP's vision for low sec, and tangentially for null sec. Assuming high sec is mostly remaining the commons space it is now, null sec will be the player constructed (and destructed) place of capsuleer empires where wealth and power is built from processes and cooperation, and low sec will be the "wild west" frontier where the individual finds his way through lucky panhandling strikes while avoiding the mafias and cartels and gang wars happening around them. Random sites and drops means large scale farming will not succeed in harvesting the wealth thus organized and militarized control will not be cost effective for the most part.
If this hypothesis is true, then we can make some (wild) predictions about future low sec content. It seems likely that pirate factions will continue to expand into low sec and destabilze Empire control in that area. It could lead to pirate factions taking over station in low sec, especially non-faction warfare space. Maybe then they would want a capsuleer militia to enforce and expand their control... leading to pirate militias participating in faction warfare mechanics?
What happens in low sec stays in low sec...